Of the many pleasures to be had within Jim Jarmusch's elegant "Only Lovers Left Alive" is the excellent, moody and evocative score by ... well, none other than Jarmusch himself. That's right, the writer and director also gets behind the guitar from time to time with his band Sqürl, and teaming with Jozef Van Wissem, they've concocted a pretty terrific set of music for the picture.
Now, you get your first chance to check it out, as "The Taste Of Blood" has made its way online. It's the regular theme music that runs through the movie, starring Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, Mia Wasikowska and Anton Yelchin as they brood and love in Detroit and Morocco. It's perhaps best described as a melodic dirge, though with some faintly Middle Eastern inflections, and it perfectly suits the continent-spanning tale of the undead. But that's not all the soundtrack provides—there is a carefully selected batch of classic soul jams, straight up rock 'n' roll, and beautiful, adventurous Middle Eastern music in the flick too. Better yet, we've got the list of songs and a playlist, so check 'em out below.
If you like what you hear and happen to be in France, you can can go check out Sqürl, Van Wissem and some of the soundtrack artists live in concert—full details here. As for an official soundtrack release, it's coming from ATP Recordings on CD and 2xLP, and drops on February 17th.
01. Streets Of Detroit - SQÜRL
02. Funnel Of Love - SQÜRL (featuring Madeline Follin)
03. Sola Gratia (Part 1) - Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL
04. The Taste Of Blood - Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL
05. Diamond Star - SQÜRL
06. Please Feel Free To Piss In The Garden - SQÜRL
07. Spooky Action At A Distance - SQÜRL
08. Streets Of Tangier - Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL
09. In Templum Dei - Jozef Van Wissem (featuring Zola Jesus)
10. Sola Gratia (Part 2) - Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL
11. Our Hearts Condemn Us - Jozef Van Wissem
12. Hal - Yasmine Hamdan
13. Only Lovers Left Alive - Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL
14. This Is Your Wilderness - Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL