Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Marc Webb Won't Direct 'Spider-Man 4,' James Mangold To Shoot ‘Wolverine 2’ After ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ & More

News
by Charlie Schmidlin
March 17, 2014 9:24 AM
5 Comments
  • |

Were it not for the encouragement of Sony chief Amy Pascal, Marc Webb revealed at SXSW last week, “The Amazing Spider-Man” and its upcoming two sequels would’ve passed right by the “(500) Days of Summer” director’s path as “the stupidest thing” he’d ever heard. As vibrant a studio playground as the Marvel franchise has been for Webb the last few years, we’ve been eager to see what he can do outside it, and now it appears he’s been having similar thoughts.

Two installments and a massive slate of villains still face Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) under Webb’s care, but in a recent interview with The Daily Beast (via Superhero Hype) the director offered some definitive info as to his involvement with the sequels afterwards. 

"I'd like to be involved as a consultant," he said about the already announcedAmazing Spider-Man 4,” "and I've already talked to these guys about it, but in terms of directing it, that will close out my tenure. I've had so much fun doing it, but after the third movie, it'll be the time to find something else."

Hopefully that “something else” doesn’t mean having to take over the “Sinister Six” or “Venom” spinoffs penned by Drew Goddard and Alex Kurtzman (who’s in fact slated to direct)—projects to which Webb’s contributed a fair amount already, and says he’d love to have “overlap with other studios.” But while we wait to see which project Webb chooses, “The Wolverine” director James Mangold has established (via Coming Soon) when he plans to return to the franchise. 

“We are figuring it all out,” he said on Twitter. “At the moment, I'm shooting the next ‘Wolverine’ after [Bryan Singer’s 2016 film] ‘X-Men: Apocalypse.' ” Mangold’s response failed to mention whether Hugh Jackman would maintain his long tenure in the role of Logan; however, 2017 or thereabout is a long time for 20th Century Fox to try their best persuasion tactics.

Bryan Singer has meanwhile been using his finest discretion in the editing bay of “X-Men: Days of Future Past," and that’s meant cutting down the two-hour narrative featuring 26 characters into an engaging balancing act. Unfortunately, as with Anna Paquin’s Rogue character, The New York Daily News reports (via Movieweb) Halle Berry and her part of Storm have been cut significantly in the film, only appearing in one scene overall. 

“Storm probably won't be as badass as she was going to be because we won't be able to do any fighting or flying or things like that," Berry previously said of her role in light of her pregnancy. Those changes made, it now seems that any arc her character does travel in the new film will have to wait until the Blu-ray, after 'Days of Future Past' opens on May 23rd

Free Indie Movies and Documentaries    

5 Comments

  • cagcag | May 6, 2014 8:31 AMReply

    I love this. Storm will be cut. Even Bryan Singer knows that Halle Berry sucks.

  • Hano | March 19, 2014 12:49 AMReply

    Thank God. Halle Berry was easily one of the worst parts of the old X-Men movies. She made Storm laughably bad (which is a real shame).
    Also, I'm all in for the new Spider-Man. I don't see much to hate. Not sure whether it's more to Garfield's credit or Webb's, but I think they got Peter's demeanor and characterization down perfectly. The first one wasn't perfect, but it was fun, dammit. I'm pretty nervous about the excessive amount of villains in this upcoming film, though...

  • LA2000 | March 17, 2014 9:34 PMReply

    It is an open question whether audiences will still find Webb's "brand" to be interesting, desirable, or unique once his "Spiderman" obligations have been wrapped up. By the time he manages a non-tentpole follow up to "500 Days," nearly a decade will have passed.

    And that doesn't even consider the potential for artistic atrophy after laboring in the rarefied atmosphere of high budget/low oxygen comic book movies. Will he even be hungry enough to make a picture without a crew of 200, deep pocketed resources, and a cadre of assistants to help him through the experience? Will he even want to?

    Just look at Bill Condon. He went into the "Twilight" franchise with a highly respected, Oscar-y niche brand, and re-emerged with "Fifth Estate."

    Enough said.

  • joshua cardenas | March 17, 2014 10:25 AMReply

    Good! I dont want him to direct any other spiderman films he sucked on the first one and he'll probably ruin the upcomign spiderman and atleast hes not gonna ruin the fourth one.

  • JOHN | March 17, 2014 10:50 AM

    Haha! Yeah, when the first 3 movies in the serious suck we can always look forward to the 4th - that ALWAYS works out! Um, wait, no, never.

Email Updates