By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist August 14, 2014 at 3:05PM
It has been over ten years since "Bad Boys II," and in the time since, all anyone can think about is when "Bad Boys III" will get made. And steps have been taken. In 2009, Sony hired Peter Craig ("The Town") to write a script, and when that didn't work out, the studio hired David Guggenheim ("Safe House," "Stolen") at the end of last year to take a crack at it. Not much has been heard about the project since, but according to Martin Lawrence, his signature comedy franchise is very much alive.
Stopping by "Conan" last night, the actor was asked if the sequel was still in play, and he offered up this quasi-update: "I believe so. Yes. I just talked to Jerry Bruckheimer yesterday and he said it's real, they’re working on the script, they’re getting close and it all looks good."
Time to get excited? You might want to settle down. While Michael Bay is certainly available, having just confirmed he's exiting the "Transformers" franchise after four films, he also says he wants to be "flexing new muscles," cinematically speaking. So a return to the series might not be next on his priority list. And then there's the wild card of Will Smith, a very fussy actor when it comes to scripts and signing onto projects.
Don't be shocked if in a year from now, we're bringing you the same status update on the movie. [via JoBlo]