By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist March 22, 2011 at 2:48AM
Director Matt Reeves has made leaps and bounds in his film career, transitioning from television to the monster movie "Cloverfied" and then helming the absolutely fantastic "Let Me In" last year. Why anyone would want Reeves to return to the "Cloverfield" world instead of using his talents for something much more worth his time (*ahem*"The Wolverine"*ahem*) is a bit beyond us, but the project is still on the table. Earlier this year, Reeves told us that he hasn't "really decided what that would be yet” when asked about "Cloverfield 2" and well, it's remains pretty much the status quo.
Speaking recently with Total Film, the helmer revealed that busy schedules and a desire to find a fresh approach have hampered movement on the sequel. "Well, you are going to see it - we just don't know when [laughs]," he said. "At the moment we are talking about the story quite a lot. Drew Goddard, who wrote the original, is going to pen the sequel and JJ Abrams is very much involved. However, the three of us have been so busy that getting the right idea together has been taking a long time." And it's that "right idea" that seems to be the sticking point.
When pressed if the film will follow the similar real-time structure of its predecessor Reeves revealed, "You see, that's a difficult part: we want it to be shot like the first but how can you continue that idea successfully for a second time? We have a lot of affection for the original and the sequel can't just be the same thing. But that is tricky when you need to have a monster destroying stuff once again."
So for now, table the film. Last we heard, Reeves is hoping to make his passion project "The Invisible Woman" next or at least sign on to a project with the right people that will open doors so he can make it down the line. But we can be glad he's not spouting off release dates and directors randomly for the project, which is something we wish we could say about Kiefer Sutherland.
The actor seems obsessed with making a "24" movie happen and he hopes that merely by talking about it, he can will it into existence. Even though the studio rejected a script from Billy Ray ("Shattered Glass"), Sutherland insists the movie will hit in 2012.
EW reports that the actor told the women on "The View" that indeed the film was coming next year and that elements of Ray's script will be utilized. “Billy did a fantastic job and there are aspects of that story [that will remain],” Sutherland said. “I couldn’t be more thrilled.” He also adds that Tony Scott has been working on the project too, but word from the studio is that no director or start date has been penciled in. Hmm. We're sure development is happening but it's probably very early stages at this point. So "24" fans, don't set your watches just yet, however considering the studio is in danger of having "The Wolverine" miss its 2012 bow we could easily see a fast-track being given to this franchise that's waiting in the wings....