Walking away from last night's Oscars with three big awards -- including Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture -- the buzz around "The King's Speech" won't stop anytime soon, but some of that hype may be for an issue that continues to pit producer Harvey Weinstein against the film's director and the cast.
Last week it was revealed that a PG-13 cut of "The King's Speech" had been submitted and approved by the MPAA, but there is one little problem -- director Tom Hooper was never involved in that cut. "I haven't seen it yet," the director told The Hollywood Reporter at the Governor's Ball following the Oscars. No surprise there -- Hooper previously stated that he had no desire to edit or cut the film for a PG-13 rating.
Apparently, Hooper will get his first look at the the edited cut of the film today, one that reportedly mutes most of the f-bombs in the sequence that is the subject of so much scrutiny. While the Weinsteins would probably like to get Hooper's blessing before rolling out the film, considering it's already been manhandled without his input, it's probably more just a courtesy than anything else. And it also should be noted that Hooper didn't thank or mention Harvey during his acceptance speech Sunday night. And if Harvey wants the Best Actor winner to get behind the re-cut film too, he might want to think again on that one.
"I don't support it," Colin Firth said. "I think the film has its integrity as it stands."
"In the context of the film," Firth added, "it couldn't be more edifying, more appropriate. It's not vicious or insulting. It's not in the context that might offend."
No word yet on if or when the PG-13 version of "The King's Speech" will hit but the MPAA has already cleared the way for a quick release, granting the Weinsteins a waiver for the usual 90 day wait for a newly edited film, provided they mount a new campaign informing moviegoers that the film is a new edit.