Decided by a poll of around 100 critics, Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" has topped Sight & Sound's Best Of 2012. American cinema made a particularly strong showing, with Benh Zeitlin's "Beasts Of The Southern Wild" and Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" also making the grade. Leos Carax, Miguel Gomes and David Cronenberg continue to get international love as "Holy Motors," "Tabu" and "Cosmopolis" all find slots here, as they did on the Cahiers Du Cinema list. The lone UK film is "Berberian Sound Studio" which is a nice boost for the little thriller.
Do you like this selection? Check out the full slate below courtesy of Film Detail.
"Sight & Sound" Best Of 2012
1. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, USA) (review)
2. Tabu (Miguel Gomes, Portugal/Germany/France) (review)
3. Amour (Michael Haneke, France/Germany/Austria) (review)
4. Holy Motors (Leos Carax, France/Germany) (review)
5. Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin, USA) (review)
= Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland, UK/Germany) (review)
7. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, USA) (review)
8. Beyond the Hills (Christian Mungiu, Romania/France/Belgium) (review)
= Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg, Canada/France/Portugal/Italy) (review)
= Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey/Bosnia & Herzegovina) (review)
= This is Not A Film (Jafar Pahani & Mojtaba Mirtahmaseb, Iran) (review)