Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Peter Jackson Says He'll Shoot 'Adventures Of Tintin' Sequel Next Year For 2015 Release

News
by Oliver Lyttelton
December 12, 2012 4:33 PM
5 Comments
  • |
Steven Spielberg Peter Jackson

"The Adventures of TIntin," Steven Spielberg's performance-capture-animation adaptation of Herge's boy reporter comics character, wasn't quite taken to the hearts of American audiences last year. Reviews were lukewarm and, in a packed Christmas season, the film was crushed by the competition, hobbling to a fairly meagre $77 million domestically; not so great for a film that cost well north of $100 million.

But what you may not know is that the film was a huge hit internationally, taking in an additional $300 million, for a grand total closing in on $400 million, meaning it likely would have made a profit theatrically, so everything else from home video on was all gravy. As such, talk of a sequel -- which began almost as soon as the first film was announced -- doesn't seem so hasty after all, and, according to the film's director, may be going before cameras/sensors sooner than you think.

Since day one, the plan has been for Peter Jackson, who produced "The Adventures Of Tintin," to direct the second film in the planned trilogy with Spielberg taking over as producer. And speaking to Belgian site RYTBF (via Bleeding Cool) while doing press rounds for "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," Jackson apparently said that the plan is to get the performance capture done next year, with the film to be released in 2015. The script, by best-selling children's author Anthony Horowitz, has been in the works for a while; originally intended to adapt the story "Prisoners of the Sun," it was more recently rumored to involve Herge's story "The Calculus Affair," possibly incorporating other books as well.

But how feasible are the director's plans? With "The Hobbit" now being split into three films, with the third, "There And Back Again," landing in the summer of 2014, Jackson has a busy eighteen months ahead of him, not least with several months of reshoots to help bulk out the next two films taking place early next year. Does he really have the time or the energy to go into production on another film, even if it's one that would mostly be created in post-production?

It's not entirely unfeasible; in the last few years, Tim Burton was working simultaneously on "Dark Shadows" and "Frankenweenie." But neither film were quite as mammoth an endeavor as "The Hobbit," and taking on an animation at the same time would be a headache that, we imagine, most filmmakers would rather do without. We suppose some firm news will be along soon, but if Jackson's true to his word, we'll be seeing "The Adventures Of Tintin: [Insert Subtitle Here]" in theaters in 2015. 

Free Indie Movies and Documentaries    

5 Comments

  • JIM | December 12, 2012 11:52 PMReply

    PETER JACKSON AND EVERY PERSON THAT HAS STOLEN MY WORK WILL NOT BE WORKING IN MY INDUSTRY EVER AGAIN!!! I WON'T ALLOW IT!!! YOU PEOPLE WILL BE SUED FOR STEALING MY WORK!!! YOU WILL PAY IN THIS LIFE AND THE NEXT!!!

  • FerrinBaldor | October 15, 2013 9:10 PM

    I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that Peter Jackson stole your work. If you were truly a wonderful filmmaker, you would most likely be smart enough to realize that ranting about a more popular filmmaker on the Internet is pointless.
    Besides, I don't think you have the right to call it "my industry." Filming is an industry, like writing or photography, that can be enjoyed by anyone, from incompetent YouTube wannabes to Steven Spielberg and the four Harry Potter directors.
    This comes off as childish and immensely immature. Please reconsider your complaint, as nobody is going to take it seriously.

    On a happier note, I am so excited for a Tintin sequel! :D I have been waiting for this ever since they found the globe in the cellar… can't wait for 2015! First Rick Riordan's Norse series, and now TinTin 2! :D SO EXCITED!

  • Ray H | December 12, 2012 6:37 PMReply

    Considering how late in the game The Hobbit got changed into a Trilogy, they probably have most of The Hobbit 2 ready to go. :)

  • Christian | December 12, 2012 4:57 PMReply

    Great. If you're European and have grown up on Spielberg-produced adventure films since you were just a little kid watching VHS in the early 90s then the Tintin movie was a great love letter to your childhood. Hergé was a genius and I'm excited to see Peter Jackson have a crack at directing another one. Peace and love.

  • Ugh | December 12, 2012 4:40 PMReply

    It's doable. I basically think Jackson shot enough shit for The Hobbit already that the decision to split in three was to alleviate a lot of footage being cut (and of course the extra billion plus in profits to come from a third release). With the exception of probably a two month long summer reshoot (like they did for LOTR) most of the work going on with The Hobbit now is other artists doing their work & Jackson simply saying Yay or Nay.

    Plus, Spielberg shot TINTIN in like three weeks. Give Jackson a month - Andy Serkis is already hanging around anyways - and he can get it done. 99% of the work anyways is done by other artists.

Email Updates