Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Rejoice Or Remorse: Todd Phillips Says 'The Hangover 3' To Be Last Entry In Franchise

News
by Charlie Schmidlin
March 23, 2012 11:25 AM
3 Comments
  • |
Todd Phillips

In terms of agreed-upon proofs, it was traditionally known that the Earth is round, Samuel L. Jackson will never age, and a new “The Hangover” film will always be in development. Those first two remain true, but director Todd Phillips has just confirmed that the series' third installment will be the last.

The official announcement made by the studio with Philips, which includes a maddeningly vague statement by the director about the trilogy's end. “We're going to surprise a lot of people with the final chapter we have planned," Phillips said, stating just below the obvious. "It will be a fitting conclusion to our three-part opera of mayhem, despair and bad decisions." Thanks for that. It is not yet known where the final entry will take place, although a recent draft of the script written by Craig Mazin with Philips was set in Los Angeles, and last year, rumors surfaced that the plot was revolve around breaking Zach Galifianakis' character Alan out of a mental hospital.

Joining him of course will be Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms, rumored to be receiving $15 million dollar paydays after dodgy studio forecasting on the first film left the cast without option deals in their contract, and the ball in their court. The heavy price tag on the cast is most likely the main reason behind ending the series, even as the first two 'Hangover' films have grossed to date more than $1 billion worldwide. The malleable concept could easily find its way into a city-of-the-week franchise, rivaling the “Saw” series in its number of entries, but the idea of negotiating escalating deals on their stars' participation would make any studio re-think the operation.

Turn up to see if they made the right choice when “The Hangover 3” hits theatres on May 24, 2013.

News
  • |

More: Todd Phillips, The Hangover Part 3

Free Indie Movies and Documentaries    

3 Comments

  • Luther | March 26, 2012 2:15 AMReply

    I too picture a "reboot" in 10 years where we see (or don't) what happened at Bradley Cooper's bachelor party. Then they can do one where they have to rush, after getting smashed the night before, to the hospital for the birth of somebody's baby. Wait, my bad. They already did that and called it "Due Date".

  • Tom | March 23, 2012 3:10 PMReply

    I'm guessing we'll see horrible DTV sequels in the vein of American Pie or National Lampoon.

  • Paul | March 23, 2012 1:46 PMReply

    Sure, the series with these three guys and Todd Phillips directing may end with The Hangover III, but in this day and age I don't buy the idea a brand name like this won't be milked repeatedly.

    Who here doesn't think we won't be getting a The Hangover 4 within the next 5 years? The story will circle around ANOTHER group of guys who get plastered at some event in a far away city (Toronto standing in for NYC most likely). Cameos from the original cast - or whichever of the three is truly slumming at the moment - will show up and laughs will not be had.

    That or we'll just keep getting a never ending series of direct to video sequels where different trios of frat bros find themselves on crazy adventures - always somehow getting mixed up with one of Chang's racist brothers or cousins.

Email Updates