The Sundance Film Festival is now underway, which means the next week or so is going to be a blitzkrieg of announcements, buzz, hype and more from the films showing their stuff up in Park City. But the first juicy nugget of news doesn't come from any of the movies, but from the festival's founder Robert Redford, and it's about one of his forthcoming pictures from a Sundance alum.
At the end of 2011, Redford signed up to star in "Margin Call" director J.C. Chandor's next effort "All Is Lost." It was a pretty nice coup for the helmer, who had premiered his financial-world drama at Sundance and saw it build steam all year along, eventually landing an Oscar nomination for Best Screenplay. Anyway, his next movie doesn't have much in the way of details, but it's said to be a man vs. nature flick, with Redford's character getting lost at sea and fighting the elements to stay alive. And oh yeah, he's not gonna say a word.
This afternoon, during the opening press conference for the Sundance Film Festival, Redford has said that the film has "no dialogue." Hmm...we'll just have to ruminate on that, but Chandor going from a cloistered chatty film, to then doing a complete 180 to an outdoor movie with zero dialogue, kind of sounds amazing. "All Is Lost" shot last year and there's no word yet on where it might appear, but suddenly, it's one we're very keen on seeing. Much more to come we're sure.
Redford says he recent acted in a dialogue-free indie film. That's worth talking about. #Sundance
— Peter Howell (@peterhowellfilm) January 17, 2013