Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Simon Kinberg Says Ridley Scott’s Next Film Is ‘The Martian’ With Matt Damon & Shoots This Fall

News
by Edward Davis
June 24, 2014 6:10 PM
11 Comments
  • |

When Ridley Scott’s “The Martian” was announced with Matt Damon in the lead a few months ago, it sounded like it had a lot of heat and would be next for the prodigious and eclectic filmmaker. And according to writer Simon Kinberg, it is, and it’s shooting this fall (via Jeff Goldsmith’s great podcast). The much in-demand writer’s career—“X-Men: Days Of Future Past,” “The Fantastic Four” reboot, writing and producing a “Star Wars” movie—has really taken off in the last 18 months, and he’s become the go-to guy for blockbusters. What’s his role on “The Martian”? Well, he’s one of the main producers.

In fact, it was Kinberg that brought the book to Drew Goddard (“Cabin In The Woods”), the writer/director wrote what Kinberg calls an “incredible script” and Goddard was going to helm it, but because of his obligations to the “Spider-Man” franchise (he’s directing the “Sinister Six” movie), he had to bow out. Thus, Ridley Scott is directing, and it's full steam ahead for this fall.

So… what does that mean for Scott’s future schedule? Well, this does make things tricky for “Prometheus 2,” which is what we’ve been saying all along. When it was first revealed that Ridley Scott's 2016 "mystery project" would be "Prometheus 2" (set for a March 2016, release date), The Wrap said the ‘Alien’ prequel-spin-off would shoot this fall, once Scott was done with his Christian Bale-starring “Exodus: Gods and Kings” movie.

Clearly Scott’s not going to be shooting two things at once, and sure, he could shoot it afterwards, release ‘Martian’ in 2015 and have ‘Prometheus’ ready for 2016, but that’s the craziest compressed schedule of all time. More and more, it’s looking like what we’ve been positing for some time now: Ridley Scott is likely not going to direct “Prometheus 2,” will exec-produce and hand it off to someone else instead. And look, we realize the whole snakes and ladders guessing game of production schedules and release dates can be silly, but as it looks right now, this is an educated guess that doesn’t seem insane. At least right now, and with no release date shift. Hell, one of his protégé’s Carl Erik Rinsch was supposed to direct “Prometheus” when it was still more of a proper ‘Alien’ prequel, and “47 Ronin” was a total bomb, so there’s a suggestion for you. Dude needs a hit.

The other conspiracy theory you have is that Fox, who never confirmed “Prometheus 2” officially, are actually planning on releasing “The Martian” as Scott’s 2016 film instead, but… well, we’ll see, won’t we?

Free Indie Movies and Documentaries    

11 Comments

  • manuel | June 27, 2014 1:05 AMReply

    Somewhat disheartening to read that Prometheus/Paradise is not going into production. However, they could take the route of Aliens though leave Scott as producer. Though handoff the reign to a director such David Fincher. Knowing his previous experience with Alien 3 I know it won't happen, though he's the only person I can see directing this film.

  • Reg Dwight | June 25, 2014 6:09 PMReply

    I like the entire creative ensemble. Something to look forward to as far as I'm concerned.

  • Broken boughs | June 24, 2014 11:13 PMReply

    I thought this must be the case. Matt Damon has been bulking up, he's been photographed a lot at the gym lately. And my understanding is that the script for Prom 2 isn't ready. I am anxiously awaiting arrival of the book "The Martian". Hear it's terrific.

  • caro | June 25, 2014 5:24 PM

    You probably are right

  • Lou | June 24, 2014 9:01 PMReply

    Last month, Michael Fassbender said he was excited to work with Scott again on Prometheus 2, calling him a master filmmaker. He also said he had no idea when it would shoot. An actor with as busy a slate as Fassbender would most likely know if he were filming Prometheus 2 in the fall or any time soon (and if it was soon and without Scott, he would have just said he was excited about playing David again or something of the sort). I think it is likely that the actual production schedule is very much up in the air and Scott is likely still the director.

  • RNL | June 24, 2014 11:07 PM

    Fox never officially announced it. The original story came from The Wrap. I don't know if posting a URL here will get my comment censored, so just google "the wrap prometheus march" and you'll find it. They attributed the news to "multiple sources". Full quote: "Multiple sources have told TheWrap that the “Untitled Ridley Scott Project” that 20th Century Fox announced it will release in March 2016 is “Prometheus 2,” although the film may not ultimately use that title. An insider told TheWrap that production is scheduled to start this fall, after Scott has delivered his Moses movie “Exodus” to Fox."

  • Lou | June 24, 2014 9:19 PM

    Re: Nope, Dates are too Close
    Did Fox ever confirm that the March 2016 date is the Prometheus 2 date? I believe that was just a rumor it would be Prometheus 2. Even if that was the original intent, if Scott subsequently decided to do The Martian first, obviously it harms no one to give that film the March date (or simply change the calendar).

  • Nope, dates are too close | June 24, 2014 9:06 PM

    Prometheus is supposed to OPEN on March 2016. Ridley Scott's going to shoot a film this fall -- let's even say it take super conservatively 9 months to totally finish starting Sept, which takes us to May 2015. Then he's supposed to IMMEDIATELY start Prometheus 2 and have it ready and IN THEATERS on March 2016? Not bloody f'ing likely.

  • Gustavo | June 24, 2014 8:43 PMReply

    "The other conspiracy theory you have is that Fox, who never confirmed “Prometheus 2” officially, are actually planning on releasing “The Martian” as Scott’s 2016 film instead"

    Agreed. That seems very likely.

  • Frank | June 24, 2014 6:34 PMReply

    "Clearly Scott’s not going to be shooting two things at once, and sure, he could shoot it afterwards, release ‘Martian’ in 2015 and have ‘Prometheus’ ready for 2016… but that’s the craziest compressed schedule of all time."

    Uhh Scott's been shooting movies back-to-back for the past 15 years. Gladiator, Hannibal, and Black Hawk Down were all released in a 20 month period. Why wouldn't he be able to shoot Prometheus 2 next year?

  • RNL | June 24, 2014 7:45 PM

    He's never done two effects-heavy films back-to-back though. Also, Prometheus 2 was reportedly going to be the "unnamed Ridley Scott movie" due out in March 2016. It'd definitely be impossible for him to make that date.

Email Updates