By Joe Cunningham | The Playlist December 17, 2012 at 10:34PM
We got a look a first look at the Dave Grohl directed documentary “Sound City” a couple of weeks ago with the trailer, and as intrigued as we were about the film we were doubly intrigued by its soundtrack – this is The Playlist after all. From what we’d seen so far it looked like Grohl was gathering a load of legendary musicians together to play live music in the eponymous California recording studio for the documentary, which would also make up the film’s original soundtrack. Well, it looks like that’s exactly the case, and the line-up for both the movie and soundtrack is extremely impressive.
The tracklist includes songs both performed in the documentary itself, and songs inspired by the time they spent together filming the doc. Dave Grohl performs in some capacity on every track, and one that you might already be familiar with is “Cut Me Some Slack” with Paul McCartney and former Nirvana collaborators Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear that was performed at last week’s 12-12-12 concert. Also popping up on the 11 tracks are some hugely impressive names including Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor and Josh Homme.
We’re only really scratching the surface there with members of Slipknot, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Foo Fighters (naturally) and Rage Against the Machine also on board for some fascinating collaborations. Perhaps the one we’re most excited about is the final track on the album entitled “Mantra,” on which Grohl will team up with Joshua Homme and Trent Reznor. We’re sure we’ll get to hear snippets of the soundtrack between now and the doc premiering at Sundance in January, while the soundtrack album itself will get a digital release on February 1st. [HitFix]
"Sound City" Soundtrack Tracklisting
1. Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes, and Robert Levon Been – “Heaven and All”
2. Brad Wilk, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Tim Commerford – “Time Slowing Down”
3. Dave Grohl, Rami Jaffee, Stevie Nicks, and Taylor Hawkins – “You Can’t Fix This”
4. Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Rick Springfield, and Taylor Hawkins – “The Man That Never Was”
4. Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Lee Ving, Pat Smear, and Taylor Hawkins – “Your Wife Is Calling”
6. Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, and Scott Reeder – “From Can to Can’t”
7. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – “Centipede”
8. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – “A Trick With No Sleeve”
9. Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, and Pat Smear – “Cut Me Some Slack”
10. Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Jim Keltner, and Rami Jaffee – “Once Upon a Time… The End”
11. Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor – “Mantra”