Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

The Playlist

Roberto Orci Officially Leaves ‘Amazing Spider-Man 3’; Series Could Be In Limbo

  • By Rodrigo Perez
  • |
  • July 12, 2014 10:52 AM
  • |
  • 25 Comments
Amazing Spider-Man 2
“Where there’s smoke there’s fire.” I kinda hate that term because it always lends credence to every damn rumor out there (the recent Gus Van Sant/”Death Note” rumor of late is false and premature, for example). But maybe it applies here. A few weeks ago it was reported that “The Amazing Spider-Man 3” was going to lose its 2016 date and it may be delayed.

Discuss: Will Summer 2016 Outshine & Outpace The Once Mythical Summer 2015?

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • June 27, 2014 2:21 PM
  • |
  • 23 Comments
Summer 2016
It wasn’t that long ago when people were writing premonitions, pre-nostalgic anticipations and “whoa, look out” warning pieces about the massive pile-up of gigantic blockbusters heading for the summer of 2015. That's still true to a degree, but the landscape has shifted and 2016 is looking bigger, brighter and scarier.

Paramount Sets 'Transformers 5,' 'GI Joe 3,' 'Hansel And Gretel 2' And 'Star Trek 3' For 2016

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • June 18, 2014 2:14 PM
  • |
  • 4 Comments
Star Trek 3, GI Joe 3, Transformers 5 Coming In 2016
"Well, they’ve talked about doing more," Mark Wahlberg told HitFix about possible future "Transformers" films. "When you make a deal on a movie like this, they’re definitely going to want to negotiate those things in advance." And while he's being cagey, he's also correct that these days, studios want to tie down their franchise actors. And let's not forget that last year, Wahlberg was a bit more definitive about his role in the series saying, "I definitely had to sign up for three." Of course, Paramount is banking on audiences showing up, and clearly they're confident they will.

It's Official: Screenwriter Roberto Orci Will Direct ‘Star Trek 3’

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • May 13, 2014 9:36 PM
  • |
  • 12 Comments
Star Trek 3, Roberto Orci
“We always try to approach these big action movies from a place of: Could you remove the robots and the spaceships and aliens and whatever it is and take that character story and make an independent film out of that little story?” Roberto Orci told The Los Angeles Times in 2009. “If you can and then you sprinkle back in the giant robots, you have something very unique.”

Powerhouse Duo Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci Split Up, Orci Wants To Direct 'Star Trek 3'

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • April 22, 2014 1:50 PM
  • |
  • 5 Comments
For better (and definitely for worse), producing/writing duo Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have been behind some of the biggest blockbusters of the last decade or so. "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Star Trek" franchises are among their biggest accomplishments, and "Now You See Me" was a massive hit. But the pair are now breaking up, cinematically speaking, each pursuing their own movie gigs (though they are keeping their lucrative TV business partnership going). So, who will be Paul Simon and who will turn out to be Art Garfunkel? Time will tell, but Orci is driving hard to the hoop to make his blockbuster filmmaking debut.

Joe Cornish Won't Direct 'Star Trek 3' After All

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • December 10, 2013 9:01 AM
  • |
  • 0 Comments
Star Trek Joe Cornish
"Ultimately I think it would have been too big a step to take," director Joe Cornish said in 2011 about turning down what the chance to helm "A Good Day To Die Hard." "Some directors do do it. That guy Rupert Wyatt made a very low budget movie called 'The Escapist' and then he took on 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' and did an amazing job. But he's a braver man than me." And while just over a month ago, Cornish emerged as Paramount's top choice to direct "Star Trek 3," it looks like he won't be going into the final frontier.

'Attack The Block' Helmer Joe Cornish Is Paramount's Choice To Direct 'Star Trek 3'

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • November 2, 2013 12:32 PM
  • |
  • 18 Comments
Star Trek Joe Cornish
For many, the goodwill from J.J. Abrams' mostly-very-good "Star Trek" reboot dissipated quickly with this summer's sequel, "Star Trek Into Darkness." What had been a shining example of how to give a franchise a fresh lick of paint became a film that had its moments, but failed to live up to expectations, with a lousy third act, excessive destruction and a waste of a potentially good villain. But it seems like Paramount have found a way to get us, at least, excited about a potential third installment.

Rumor: 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' Helmer Jon M. Chu Contender To Direct 'Star Trek 3'; Kurtzman/Orci Will Write The Film

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • August 5, 2013 5:45 PM
  • |
  • 6 Comments
A couple of weeks back an offhand comment by Zachary Quinto set nerds into a lather as it was suggested that J.J. Abrams—tasked with helming "Star Wars: Episode 7"—was somehow going to find time to direct "Star Trek 3" in time for a 2016 release. Keep dreaming, we said. And it would appear that our smugness was well-placed as, if this latest rumor is anything to go by, Paramount is already looking at other candidates.

Lucasfilm Denies J.J. Abrams Leaving 'Star Wars: Episode VII;' New Writers May Beam Aboard 'Star Trek 3'

  • By Drew Taylor
  • |
  • July 22, 2013 6:47 PM
  • |
  • 10 Comments
J.J. Abrams,  'Star Wars'
Someone had a little too much fun at Comic-Con: today, while running down rumors of a new writing team boarding the third 'Star Trek' installment for Bad Robot and Paramount, Badass Digest writer Devin Faraci struck a nerve when he insinuated that director J.J. Abrams would soon be dropping out of the astronomically anticipated "Star Wars: Episode VII." Sure enough, a few hours later, Lucasfilm has issued a sternly worded rebuttal. Abrams is still very much directing "Star Wars: Episode VII," and as for those "Star Trek" specifics he unleashed in the same post, well now they seem dodgier than Han Solo's claim that he made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

'Star Trek 3' Shooting In 2014 With J.J. Abrams Directing? Set Phasers To Keep Dreaming

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • July 16, 2013 4:43 PM
  • |
  • 9 Comments
Star trek, set photo
Actors love to talk out of turn and all too often their wishful thinking is pretty much the equivalent of fanboy daydreaming. Take comments from “Star Trek” actor Zachary Quinto that seem to have been taken at face value across the entire Internet. Quinto “supposes” that “Star Trek 3” will shoot next year. “'Star Trek 3' should be filming, I suppose, next year,” is the full quote. “It’s going to be made a lot quicker than the last one. That’s the plan, although nothing is confirmed yet.” (If that’s not the most tentative, and half-hearted declaration of news this month, we’re not sure what is). Elsewhere in the article from Buzzhub, Quinto “mentioned that J.J. Abrams was planning to direct 'Star Trek 3.' "

Email Updates

Recent Comments