The Playlist

Latest 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Rumors Swirl Around Benedict Cumberbatch, Saoirse Ronan & Simon Pegg

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • September 19, 2013 9:05 AM
  • |
  • 10 Comments
It's been just over a week since we last talked about "Star Wars: Episode 7," and at the time it was all about Benedict Cumberbatch's seeming denial about turning down Guillermo Del Toro's "Crimson Peak" so he could do J.J. Abrams' film instead. Well, it looks like the internet insists he'll still go to a galaxy far, far way...

John Williams Confirmed To Score 'Star Wars: Episodes VII-IX,' Says J.J. Abrams The Right Person To Continue The Saga

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • July 27, 2013 12:02 PM
  • |
  • 9 Comments
Of all the rumors swirling around "Star Wars: Episode 7" and the subsequent sequels and spin-offs, this was probably the most no-brainer obvious as being true. Hell, even J.J. Abrams himself said back in April that John Williams—who provided the iconic music of the original "Star Wars" and never looked back—would likely return to score part seven, and it turns out the composer is in for the long haul.

Disney Promises New 'Star Wars' Movie Every Year Starting With 'Star Wars: Episode 7' In Summer 2015

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • April 17, 2013 2:29 PM
  • |
  • 10 Comments
At a multiplex not so far away, in a galaxy you already live in, you are going be getting a whole lot more "Star Wars" very, very soon and on an annual basis. Just like filing your taxes and rotating your tires, the "Star Wars" franchise is going to become a yearly ritual.

Disney CEO Bob Iger Confirms 'Star Wars' Character Stand Alone Movies, But Not Part Of The Overall Saga

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • February 5, 2013 5:20 PM
  • |
  • 4 Comments
So, remember that rumor from earlier today about how Disney was possibly planning a Yoda stand alone as part of their expansive "Star Wars" plans? Well, it just got a bit more weight from someone pretty high up the food chain.

Lawrence Kasdan & Simon Kinberg May Be Writing 'Star Wars' Spinoffs, Rather Than Episodes VIII & IX

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • November 28, 2012 11:40 AM
  • |
  • 2 Comments
Here we go again. Not even a day after Colin Trevorrow put rumors about his involvement in the "Star Wars" sequels to an end with the revelation that the Disney project he's working on is a remake of "Flight Of The Navigator," it looks like there's even more to talk about when it comes to George Lucas' franchise.

'Empire Strikes Back' Writer Lawrence Kasdan, 'X-Men' Scribe Simon Kinberg Could Write Star Wars Episode VIII & IX

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • November 20, 2012 6:56 PM
  • |
  • 5 Comments
The "Star Wars" rumor mill keeps ticking along, and while we still don't know who's directing that first new movie, Episode VII, it seems that Disney and new Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy are already start to think of the future. After all, they allegedly have outlines for a new trilogy of films from George Lucas, which has been expanded into treatments by "Toy Story 3" writer Michael Arndt, who's also penning Episode VII. And while that film is still at least three years away, it looks like we might have writers for further installments, and at least one of them will make fans very, very happy.

George Lucas Says He Won't Be Choosing The Next 'Star Wars' Director, Keeps Talking His Personal Movies No One Will See

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • November 5, 2012 11:44 AM
  • |
  • 8 Comments
Another day, another "Star Wars" update, and this will be the way of things for a while as fans dig in for three years of waiting until "Star Wars: Episode 7 -- There's Still Money To Be Made" hits theaters in 2015. And while fan wishlists are being made up for who will direct the upcoming sequel (or sequels), George Lucas himself reveals he won't take part in the selection process.

George Lucas Met With Screenwriters, Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher About 'Star Wars 7' Before Disney Sale

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • November 1, 2012 9:04 AM
  • |
  • 13 Comments
Two days after it was announced, the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney and the revelation of a new trilogy of "Star Wars" films on the way continues spur discussion, excitement, speculation and more. We're still three years out from 'Episode VII' arriving in 2015, but given the amount of updates and tidbits pouring out over the past 48 hours, you would think it was coming next month. What we do know thus far is that, once again bucking fan expectations, Lucas has decided not to use the revered books, but is launching an original story, one that will reportedly feature Luke Skywalker, now in his 30s or 40s, in a tale that will follow "Stars Wars: Episode IV - Return Of The Jedi." And while a treatment is done, it appears that George Lucas was open to other ideas.

Bringing Balance To The Force? 5 Directions The New 'Star Wars' Films Could Go

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • October 31, 2012 10:59 AM
  • |
  • 31 Comments
Unless you've been robbed of power by Hurricane Sandy, you've probably heard that yesterday saw the biggest movie news story of the year -- if not several years -- break. Disney have purchased LucasFilm for $4 billion, and have announced that plans are moving ahead for new "Star Wars" movies, beginning with "Episode VII" in 2015 (the start of a new trilogy), with franchise creator George Lucas serving only as a creative consultant, and new talent coming in to write and direct the new films.

With George Lucas Only Consulting, Can Disney Restore The Integrity Of The ‘Star Wars’ Franchise? Does It Even Matter?

  • By Rodrigo Perez
  • |
  • October 31, 2012 10:05 AM
  • |
  • 14 Comments
“We’re going to concentrate on the ‘Star Wars’ franchise,” Disney CFO Jay Rasulo said yesterday in a Disney conference call to discuss the immediate acquisition of Lucasfilm Ltd. “What we’re buying, along with the overall company, is a pretty extensive and detailed treatment for what would be the next three movies. The [new] trilogy.”

Email Updates

Recent Comments