Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

The Playlist

Exclusive: Andrew Kevin Walker Rewriting ‘Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel; David Fincher's ‘20,000 Leagues’ Is Dead

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • July 17, 2013 10:26 AM
  • |
  • 17 Comments
With two major blockbuster flops in two years (“John Carter,” “The Lone Ranger”), the conventional wisdom follows that Disney is probably not green-lighting any major, untested would-be franchises anytime soon (even the the trio behind “The Pirates of The Caribbean” films, Bruckheimer, Depp and Verbinski proved nothing’s a sure thing). And so eyes immediately turned to David Fincher’s ambitious $200 million-plus, 3D tentpole adaptation of “20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.” Given the recent announcement that Fincher would be directing the thriller “Gone Girl” with Ben Affleck this fall, we assumed the Jules Verne project had been scrapped, for the simple reason that Disney is not going to bankroll a potentially risky project.

Sony May Write Daniel Craig Out Of 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequels As Actor Asks For Raise

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • January 31, 2013 9:06 AM
  • |
  • 20 Comments
There has been a lot of speculation about why Sony has been taking their time in getting a sequel in front of cameras for "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo." Maybe the studio was expecting more than the over $230 million they took in worldwide for the hard-R, adult thriller. Perhaps it's the price point, with fees for David Fincher, Scott Rudin and screenwriter Steve Zaillian tallying between $25-$35 million before a frame of film is even shot (not to mention that Fincher gets $5 million anyway as part of his pay-or-play deal if Sony goes with someone else). However, the studio has continually insisted a followup is coming...but just not before 2014. And now things seem to have gotten a bit more complicated.

Daniel Craig Wants David Fincher Back For 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel,’ But Is That Realistic?

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • October 23, 2012 9:58 AM
  • |
  • 23 Comments
On a normal movie franchise timetable, “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” series is running behind schedule. If this were Marvel for example, the sequel would have been announced as the film was entering theaters or a few months afterwards. But brooding, dark, decidedly for-adults-only material and not four-quadrant broad like most ideal tentpoles, “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” is not your average would-be franchise. To boot, according to MGM’s math, the film posted a financial loss after all was said and done (even though the film made $232 million worldwide, its shooting, post-production and promotional budget apparently exceeded those figures).

David Fincher Says He's Still Figuring Out 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel; Reveals Other Directors On 'House Of Cards'

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • August 27, 2012 9:11 AM
  • |
  • 4 Comments
With Sony confirming last week that "The Girl Who Played With Fire" would not be hitting screens in 2013 (hardly a shock considering no casting or greenlight or any other movement had happened on "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" followup), speculation brewed as to whether or not David Fincher would return. While "The Social Network" was pretty much smooth sailing, his relationship with Sony grew fractious during 'Dragon Tattoo,' with heads butting from the start over casting and more bumps along the way. "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" was expected to be his next film, but we'd wager Disney might be re-considering the expensive 3D and CGI-heavy movie in the wake of the belly flop "John Carter," and particularly with "The Lone Ranger" reportedly already going over budget. Whatever might be going on behind the scenes, it seems Fincher still has Lisbeth Salander on the brain.

'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel Won't Arrive Earlier Than 2014; David Fincher Still Not Confirmed

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • August 23, 2012 9:20 AM
  • |
  • 9 Comments
Wondering what's going on with the followup to Sony's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," the adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel ($30 million copies sold worldwide) that grossed $232 million worldwide, but only $102 million domestically in its 2011 iteration as directed by David Fincher?

Joel Kinnaman Talks 'Easy Money,' His Marty Scorsese-Style Relationship With Daniel Espinosa & The Future Of The 'Dragon Tattoo' Films

  • By Jen Vineyard
  • |
  • July 11, 2012 11:01 AM
  • |
  • 0 Comments
"You guys are behind!" Joel Kinnaman teases. From his vantage point, we are. While the first of the "Snabba Cash" films (called "Easy Money" in English-speaking markets) comes out this week in the U.S., Sweden has already celebrated the first installment, giving the film three Guldbagges (the country's equivalent of an Oscar), including a win for Kinnaman for Best Actor, and moved on to the second, "Snabba Cash II," which comes out August 17th abroad.

'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' Sequel Aiming For A 2014 Release Date & More From The Floor At CinemaCon

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • April 30, 2012 11:18 AM
  • |
  • 2 Comments
This past week saw Hollywood types descend on Las Vegas -- not for a "Hangover" reboot, but for the annual CinemaCon trade show, which sees all the studios showing off their upcoming wares for exhibitors and members of the press. And this year was a big one, with footage from "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Hobbit," "Les Miserables," "Prometheus," "The Great Gatsby" and many, many more among the headliners.

MGM Takes A Loss On 'Dragon Tattoo': Does This Mean David Fincher Is Out?

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • March 22, 2012 6:36 PM
  • |
  • 21 Comments
Well, it's not quite "John Carter," but today MGM revealed in a call with investors (via Deadline) that though "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" took in $231 million worldwide (not bad for a hard-R crime drama that runs 2 1/2 hours long) it still didn't meet the numbers honchos thought they would get out of a fanbase that snapped up 18 million copies of the book. “...it is below our expectations and we booked a modest loss,” exec Gary Barber said, adding that they ”were hoping we’d do 10% more than we did.” But what does this mean about the proposed sequels?

Sony Officially Plans To Make 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequels, But David Fincher Is Looking To Direct '20,000 Leagues' Instead

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • January 9, 2012 10:49 AM
  • |
  • 25 Comments
While the quiet opening last month of Sony's big budget "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" had many speculating that the studio would quietly kibosh the planned the sequels in the face of underwhelming box office, David Fincher's film has shown some remarkable legs. The film is still in the top five at the domestic box office, and looks like when all is said and done, it will crack $100 million domestically -- not bad for a very adult, R-rated thriller that runs more than two-and-a-half hours long. Morever, with recent PGA and WGA nominations, 'Dragon Tattoo' is looking poised to be a bigger Oscar player than expected as well. And while Sony has already said they're continuing to pursue the planned sequels "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest," it became even more real over the weekend.

Sony Insists It's Moving Ahead With 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel 'The Girl Who Played With Fire'

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • January 3, 2012 9:41 AM
  • |
  • 10 Comments
Sony took a big risk this holiday season. Could a 160-minute hard-R-rated movie full of gore and sexual violence, based on source material that was adapted only two years ago in a popular Swedish film, be the start of a rare thing -- a franchise for adults? Signs immediately after the release of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" weren't positive. Despite the presence of director David Fincher, and a massive marketing campaign, the film was slow out of the gates against more family-friendly competition, taking a disappointing $20 million in its first five days.

Email Updates

Recent Comments