Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

‘Magic Mike: XXL’ Set For July 4th Weekend 2015; Channing Tatum Says Entire Cast Returning

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • April 15, 2014 2:21 PM
  • |
  • 0 Comments
Magic Mike 2
What do we know about “Magic Mike 2” so far? Well, as we revealed exclusively a few weeks back, the official title will be “Magic Mike XXL” and Greg Jacobs, Steven Soderbergh’s longtime producer/first A.D./creative co-hort will take over the directing duties (Soderbergh has “retired” which basically means directing TV, but no feature films).

Simon Kinberg Creating A Shared Comic Book Movie Universe For Fox's Marvel Characters

  • By Charlie Schmidlin
  • |
  • December 6, 2013 9:05 AM
  • |
  • 0 Comments
X-Men: Days Of Future Past,
With extensive work on Neill Blomkamp’s “Elysium” and also the upcoming “Star Wars” films as a writer, producer Simon Kinberg has locked in recently on the sci-fi/fantasy front, but those aren’t enough—comic book adaptations have found his focus as well. Next summer’s “X-Men: Days of Future Past” and the Josh Trank-directed “Fantastic Four” remake both bear his name as writer/producer, but in a new development over at 20th Century Fox, which owns both franchises, he stands to have even more of a corner on the market.

Mark Millar Basically Says Consultant Role At Fox Is To Protect Their Superhero Movies From Sucking Again

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • October 10, 2012 5:39 PM
  • |
  • 3 Comments
After "Iron Man," Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, "The Avengers" and oh, you know, every other title that arrives every six months, comic-book movies are obviously still all the rage. But it wasn't always like that. In the early aughts there were plenty of misfires, with many of them coming from 20th Century Fox: "Daredevil," "Elektra," "Fantastic Four," "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" were all mostly moneymakers, but were all generally reviled.  The same applied to lesser-known titles adapted from comics like "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," which was also a Fox property based off a comic book series written by Alan Moore that was such a bad film it practically sent him to an early grave and hastened Sean Connery's retirement (of course, we're not even counting dreck like Warner Bros.' "Catwoman").

Comic-Con '12: Thomas Jane & Ron Perlman Unveil Unofficial 'Punisher' Short Film; 'Star Trek 2' Footage Revealed...Kind Of...

  • By Cain Rodriguez
  • |
  • July 15, 2012 10:41 PM
  • |
  • 2 Comments
A brief litle update on various bits and bobs from San Diego over the weekend so here we go...The last time we heard anything about the future of Marvel's "The Punisher" was last fall when Fox committed to a TV pilot that would bring the character to the small screen...and that's about it since then. But Thomas Jane, who played the character in the modestly received 2004 movie, has gone ahead and made his own short film without Marvel approval.

Will The 'X-Men: First Class' Sequel Be Based On The 'Days Of Future Past' Storyline?

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • June 5, 2012 1:09 PM
  • |
  • 2 Comments
Well, all of this year's comic book movies are pretty much squared away, with "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "The Dark Knight Rises" hitting theaters in the next month or so, we can now turn our attention to what's on the horizon, and early next year Matthew Vaughn will re-team with the cast of "X-Men: First Class" for a sequel. As usual, story details at the moment are being kept under lock and key, but that hasn't stopped nerds on the Internet from doing some digging, and some fresh intel has surfaced.

'X-Men: First Class' & 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' Sequels Set For Summer 2014; 'Independence Day 3D' Hits July 3, 2013

  • By Edward Davis
  • |
  • May 31, 2012 3:57 PM
  • |
  • 10 Comments
Ironically, some of us were just having this conversation this morning. Would 20th Century Fox rush its "X-Men: First Class" sequel into production like they did in 2010 for its 2011 release (there was about an eight-month window to shoot and edit the picture and the film suffered because of it, but miraculously wasn't a total disaster)? The answer, thankfully, is no. Fox has set July 18, 2014 as the release date for their untitled sequel to "X-Men: First Class." Original director Matthew Vaughn will be on board once again with all of the original cast, including Micheal Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult and many more (they all signed multi-picture deals after all). That should give them plenty of time to write a proper screenplay and not a mediocre one that the cast has to elevate (which was the case with the original). 

Fox & Lionsgate Play Nice & Coordinate So Jennifer Lawrence Can Shoot 'Catching Fire' This Fall, 'First Class' Sequel In Early 2013

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • April 6, 2012 7:56 AM
  • |
  • 2 Comments
How do you solve the problem of Jennifer Lawrence and two mega-franchises? Though for a brief moment it looked like Fox might piss in the corn flakes of Lionsgate, forcing them to push back their plans on getting "The Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" into theaters for fall 2013, it looks like everybody was able to work things out.

Matthew Vaughn Will Return To Direct 'X-Men: First Class' Sequel

  • By Kevin Jagernauth
  • |
  • January 30, 2012 1:01 PM
  • |
  • 2 Comments
Well, the wheels were in motion and it was probably just a matter of time. Last fall you'll remember that much to the chagrin of fans everywhere, "X-Men: The Last Stand" writer Simon Kinberg was hired to pen the sequel to "X-Men: First Class." While the film was ultimately a bit of a disappointment for Fox -- it's still the lowest grossing effort in the series -- it at least won back the fanboys to the franchise who had given up after 'Last Stand' and the flat out awful "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." And with it's main cast -- Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and James McAvoy -- all set to become bigger stars in the next year or so, it's a no-brainer to put them all in the same movie again (especially if they're contractually obligated). Now, one more factor in the qualitative success of 'First Class' is back.

The Playlist's Man Of The Year 2011: Michael Fassbender

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • December 22, 2011 3:12 PM
  • |
  • 22 Comments
A couple of days ago, as part of our year-end coverage, we named Jessica Chastain as our Woman of the Year, and it was an easy decision to make; no one's been as omnipresent, or given as many different, and excellent, turns, as Chastain did. But our man of the year was slightly more difficult. Should it be Matt Damon, who cropped up in five major releases, including Steven Soderbergh's "Contagion?" Hmm... no. Damon's "Happy Feet Two" shrimp partner Brad Pitt, who fought to get both "The Tree of Life" and "Moneyball" made, to tremendous results? No. Ryan Gosling, who embraced stardom at long last with a trio of performances in "Crazy Stupid Love," "Drive" and "The Ides of March?" George Clooney, who directed the latter and starred in Alexander Payne's "The Descendants?" No.

'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' Pirate Sentenced To A Year In Prison, Film's Director Gavin Hood Still Goes Unpunished

  • By Oliver Lyttelton
  • |
  • December 20, 2011 1:00 PM
  • |
  • 8 Comments
Piracy and bootlegging is, obviously, a major problem for the film industry, as it has been since the invention of the VHS. But in a day and age when everyone and their mom knows how to torrent, and seemingly don't mind watching terrible-quality DivXs shot on a constantly-shaking camera phone, it's more prevalent than ever.

Email Updates

Recent Comments