The Venice Film Festival kicked off today, but for those of you choosing to head to Colorado instead of Italy, the organizers at the Telluride Film Festival have unveiled their slate for 2013. As usual, it's a mix of selections from both Cannes and Venice, along with a couple of premieres and some interesting curiosities.
Standing tall above the rest is Jason Reitman's "Labor Day," which will make its world premiere this weekend before heading to TIFF next week. Also unspooling for the first time is "Starred Up," the latest from director David Mackenzie ("Young Adam," "Perfect Sense") about a young man who goes to prison and winds up meeting his father on the inside. Another below the radar entry worth keeping an eye on is Agnieszka Holland's "Burning Bush," a mini-series she did for HBO in Europe.
Meanwhile, Telluride will mark early festival season stops for "Invisible Woman," "Inside Llewyn Davis," "Nebraska," "All Is Lost," "Blue Is The Warmest Color," and "The Lunchbox" while Venice efforts "Under The Skin," "The Unknown Known," "Palo Alto" and more will all unspool.
Full slate below, and organizers hint at more "sneak previews" to be announced on the weekend, with Film Linc noting that at least three more titles are on the horizon. Given the lack of anything from The Weinstein Company and Fox Searchlight, we'd wager there might be some big stuff still to come.
Telluride runs from August 29th to September 2nd.
· ALL IS LOST (d. J.C. Chandor, U.S., 2013)
· BEFORE THE WINTER CHILL (d. Philippe Claudel, France, 2013)
· BETHLEHEM (d. Yuval Adler, Israel, 2013)
· BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR (d. Abdellatif Kechiche, France, 2013)
· BURNING BUSH (d. Agnieszka Holland, Czech Republic, 2013)
· DEATH ROW: BLAINE MILAM + ROBERT FRATTA (d. Werner Herzog, U.S., 2013)
· FIFI HOWLS FROM HAPPINESS (d. Mitra Farahani, U.S., 2013)
· THE GALAPAGOS AFFAIR: SATAN CAME TO EDEN (d. Dan Geller, Dayna Goldfine, U.S., 2013)
· GLORIA (d. Sebastián Lelio, Chile, 2013)
· GRAVITY (d. Alfonso Cuarón, U.S./U.K., 2013)
· IDA (d. Pawel Pawlikowski, Poland, 2013)
· INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (d. Joel and Ethan Coen, U.S., 2013)
· THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (d. Ralph Fiennes, U.K., 2013)
· LABOR DAY (d. Jason Reitman, U.S., 2013)
· THE LUNCHBOX (d. Ritesh Batra, India, 2013)
· LA MAISON DE LA RADIO (d. Nicolas Philibert, France, 2013)
· MANUSCRIPTS DON’T BURN (d. Mohammad Rasoulof, Iran, 2013)
· THE MISSING PICTURE (d. Rithy Panh, Cambodia/France, 2013)
· NEBRASKA (d. Alexander Payne, U.S., 2013)
· PALO ALTO (d. Gia Coppola, U.S., 2013)
· THE PAST (d. Asghar Farhadi, France/Italy, 2013)
· SLOW FOOD STORY (d. Stefano Sardo, Italy, 2013)
· STARRED UP (d. David Mackenzie, U.K., 2013)
· TIM’S VERMEER (d. Teller, U.S., 2013)
· TRACKS (d. John Curran, Australia, 2013)
· UNDER THE SKIN (d. Jonathan Glazer, U.K., 2013)
· THE UNKNOWN KNOWN (d. Errol Morris, U.S., 2013)