'Wolverine' Sequel May Have To Wait Several More Months for Hugh Jackman (Maybe Summer 2012)

by Drew Taylor
September 8, 2011 10:53 AM
2 Comments
  • |

Matthew Vaughn Expected To Return For Another 'X-Men: First Class Sequel'



While making the rounds to promote the home video release of the surprisingly fun "X-Men: First Class" (tomorrow is "First Friday" or something, 20th Century Fox is making a huge over-done fuss out of this release in hopes to drum up some more revenue, sheesh), producer Lauren Shuler Donner -- who we're sure is a nice lady but on the special features portion of the Blu-ray disc looks like some kind of horrifying wax sculpture brought to life by dark magic to inflict deadly harm on the land of the living -- let loose some details about other projects set within the "X-Men" universe.

While talking to HitFix, she said that the forthcoming "The Wolverine," directed by James Mangold (tear shed for the loss of Aronofsky), could start shooting as late as summer 2012, depending on star Hugh Jackman's adamantium-plated work schedule. "I'm not sure when we'll start," she told the site. "Maybe summer 2012 we'll start shooting. It's based on Hugh's schedule, frankly. When he's available, we'll film." She then confirmed Jackman's involvement in another high profile project: "He's doing 'Les Miserables' and then he has to come and train for us. So it's all dependent on him."

Jackman had never officially been confirmed to be a part of the "Les Miserables" movie, based on the beloved musical and directed by "The King's Speech's" Oscar winner Tom Hooper. But from Donner's weirdly inanimate lips to your ears, it seems to be the case.

She also told HitFix that they hope to have 'First Class' director (and potential father of January Jones' love child if those scurrilous rumors persist) Matthew Vaughn return for the sequel, and considering the director didn't lose his mind in the condensed, 10-month shooting/post-production schedule, we'd wager that he'd be game for another go around in the "X-Men" universe.

On the subject of "Deadpool," the stand-alone movie based on a wise-ass assassin character that appeared in the miserable "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Donner said that the film will be "true" to the character. "So you know, it'll be violent and outrageous and funny and all that," she confirmed.

On the subject of Deadpool's placement in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," while talking to Total Film, Donner acknowledged that the film didn't exactly handle the character well. "He was treated totally wrong in the ['Origins'] Wolverine film and yes, we will redeem him." If the movie goes forward, it will be under the direction of the previously announced Tim Miller.

While talking to I Am Rogue she also said that, yes, Ryan Reynolds, who was supposed to become a movie star this summer but wound up anchoring two very expensive bombs ("The Change-Up" and "Green Lantern"), would be back. She coyly asked "Can you see anybody else in it?" Although a more appropriate question would probably have been, "What else does he have going on?"

You might also like:
Free Indie Movies and Documentaries    

2 Comments

  • Molly Hunter | September 9, 2011 7:03 AMReply

    There are many X-Men members, villains and enemy teams that weren’t included in the previous films which they can utilise in future X-Men prequels/sequels and give us new stories while leaving Magneto out of some films.

  • candyland | September 8, 2011 11:56 AMReply

    Hugh has said quite a few times recently at stage doors for his one-man show and on the red carpet for Real Steel premieres (Paris and Comic Con) that he is playing Jean Valjean. And Variety/Deadline just officially confirmed it with Russell Crowe playing Javert and a release date of Dec. 7, 2012.

Email Updates