By Anne Thompson | Thompson on Hollywood November 10, 2010 at 6:10AM
San Francisco-based critic David Thomson, the brainy Brit behind the must-own Biographical Dictionary of Film, has not only updated a spanking new fifth edition, but has devised a nifty quiz derived from info contained in the book. "In my estimate it's challenging," he writes in an email. "but I think plenty of film buffs will have fun."
The rules are simple. Answer as many of the questions below as you can. The first three people to send in the complete list of 50 correct guesses to email@example.com before 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 14, 2010, will receive a signed copy of David Thomson's fifth edition of The New Biographical Dictionary of Film. If no one guesses all 50, then the three entries with the most correct answers will be declared the winners. Do NOT hazard guesses in the comments thread. Some of the questions are easier than others. Enjoy.
1. Who said, “I know things about people, Lily?”, and in what film?
2. Who played Louis Mazzini, Jeeves and Lord Byron?
3. Which actor made at least one film with Howard Hawks, Alfred Hitchcock, Rene Clair and John Ford?
4. She was born in Assam, India and he was born in Hampstead. What did they do together, and who are they?
5. What film did Upton Sinclair pay for?
6. Name a director who has filmed material from Ed McBain, Dostoyevsky and Shakespeare.
7. Who is the link in Stavisky, Reds and Beat the Devil?
8. Who won the Sarah Siddons prize?
9. Find the thread: James Jones, Michael Ondaatje, Colette?
10. Who had an Uncle Jack and an Aunt Fanny?
11. What’s the common element in M, Caught, Body and Soul?
12. What’s the link: L’Atalante, On the Waterfront, Long Day’s Journey Into Night?
13. What’s the bond between The Third Man and Johnny Guitar?
14. Of what movie was it said, “Gable’s back and Garson’s got him!”?
15. In the Cut and Panic Room – who’s the missing link?
16. Ulverston, Lancashire and Harlem, Georgia – how are they joined?
17. Who taught Alec to ride?
18. Who said, “I’d like to kiss you, but I just washed my hair”?
19. Who stayed a little too long to watch a pretty girl dance?
20. He made only five films and all were nominated for Best Picture. Who is he?
21. What’s the link: The Small Back Room, Out of Africa, The Age of Innocence?
22. On whose map might you find Santa Rosa, Bodega Bay and San Juan de Batista?
23. He worked with Cecil B. DeMille, Orson Welles and Jean-Luc Godard?
24. St Petersburg, Pompeii, the Jungle – who could have been in all those places?
25. How might you link Shirley Temple and Truffaut’s Day for Night?
26. Who played the second Pharisee, Captain von Rauffenstein and Max von Mayerling – and in what films?
27. In what film do we meet Jimmy Gator, Earl Partridge and Frank Mackey?
28. He played a judge, a lawyer and a man in prison. Who is he and what are the films?
29. How do you link Charles Boyer and Anton Walbrook?
30. Who is famous for 26.6 seconds of film?
31. What would you find about 15 miles south of Fairvale?
32. Who had just a drunk, a cripple and a kid to do the job?
33. Who said, “Movies bore me, especially my own”?
34. What role links Melville Cooper, Alan Rickman, William Lowery and Peter Finch?
35. Who wanted his $93,000?
36. What is the link between Robert Morley and Jim Broadbent?
37. Who were Victoria Page, Vicki Lester and Victor Laszlo?
38. Who was Roger O. Thornhill, C.K. Dexter Haven and Jerry Warriner?
39. What links Sunrise and A Place in the Sun?
40. The following contended for this part: Vivien Leigh, Loretta Young, Joan Fontaine, Margaret Sullavan. What was the name of the part?
41. What links Max Ophuls, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Stanley Donen and Jacques Demy?
42. Who played President Andrew Johnson, Joe Starrett and Webb Garwood?
43. Who played Sid Vicious and Joe Orton?
44. Who said, “Nobody’s perfect!”?
45. Three producers had these middle initials – F, B, O – who are they?
46. What’s the link for Chuck Barris, Chris Kelvin and Ryan Bingham?
47. When did two people tie for an Oscar and who were they?
48. In what film was Charles Palantine running for election?
49. Who had the key to Walter’s sharp practice?
50. Who remembered a girl on the ferry over to Jersey in 1896?