1. Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E. L. James (first released in January 2012 by The Writer’s Coffee Shop; acquired by Random House in March 2012)
3. Fifty Shades Trilogy: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed 3-volume Boxed Set by E. L. James (Random House)
4. Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day (ebook self-published on April 3, 2012; acquired by Penguin in May 2012)
6. The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst (ebook first released by Entangled Publishing on February 14, 2012; acquired by Simon & Schuster in August 2012)
7. Reflected in You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day (the second book in the trilogy, published by Penguin on October 3, 2012)
Laura Hazard Owen at Paid Content argues that a symbiotic relationship is occuring between the self-published and traditional publishing spheres: Popular self-published works help publishing companies recognize bankable properties (which have already been "tested" in the independent realm), while the traditional publishers help turn select successful indie authors into juggernaut bestselling authors.
The Top Ten bestsellers of 2012 are below: