By Sophia Savage | Thompson on Hollywood June 14, 2011 at 5:03AM
- Darren Aronofsky wants Christian Bale to board his ark in Noah. Should the director and actor's talks prove fruitful, the project should attract some significant studio interest from Paramount, Summit or Fox. Aronofsky wants $130 million, with New Regency already intending to co-finance.
- Bale, meanwhile, has a new cast member in The Dark Knight Rises. Josh Stewart (left), better known for his TV credits (Third Watch, Dirt, No Ordinary Family) than his big screen appearances (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Collector, and the upcoming The Collection and The Big Valley). Stewart joins Bale's other cohorts, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Tom Hardy, Juno Temple, Gary Oldman, Michael Cain, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman, Josh Pence, Matthew Modine, Tom Conti, Joey King, Brett Cullen, Chris Ellis, Daniel Sunjata, Diego Klattenhoff and Burn Gorman.
- Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby also added to its stellar cast. Australian actor Jason Clarke (above, right) will play George Wilson, Myrtle's (Isla Fisher) husband. His credits include TV's Brotherhood and The Chicago Code as well as Public Enemies with Johnny Depp and Australia's Golden Globe nominated Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) and TV soap Home and Away. He will appear in The Wettest County in the World with Shia LaBeouf and with fellow Aussie Sam Worthington in The Fields. We should recognize him by the time Gatsby is released in 2012. Clarke joins Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Aussie Joel Edgerton.
- Christopher McQuarrie's One Shot, which he adapted from Lee Child's novel and will direct at Paramount, has offered Tom Cruise the leading role of Jack Reacher, an ex-army cop who gets embroiled in the mystery of a sniper who's charged with randomly shooting and killing five people. McQuarrie (the genius behind The Usual Suspects) also co-wrote Cruise's Valkyrie as well as The Tourist, which Depp took after Cruise was at one time attached.
- Columbia's 21 Jump Street has funny-girl Ellie Kemper (The Office, Bridesmaids) joining leading men Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. She'll play a chemistry teacher who crushes on Tatum's character before realizing he's not actually a student but an undercover cop. The rest of 21 Jump Street is comprised of Rob Riggle, Dave Franco, Johnny Simmons, Dakota Johnson, Jake M. Johnson and DeRay Davis. Phil Lord and Chris Miller wrote and are directing the film adaptation of the 1980s TV series that starred Johnny Depp.