By Anne Thompson | Thompson on Hollywood October 31, 2012 at 3:46PM
San Francisco-based critic David Thomson, the brainy Brit behind the must-own Biographical Dictionary of Film, has now written a spanking new film history, "The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies." We ran an excerpt on his chapter on Steven Spielberg here.
We asked Thomson to concoct yet another demanding quiz for TOH!, this time derived from info contained in the new tome. He thinks this one is even harder than the last.
The rules are simple. Answer as many of the questions below as you can. The first three people to send in the complete list of 30 correct guesses to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, November 17, 2012, will receive a signed copy of David Thomson's "The Big Screen: The Story of the Movies." If no one guesses all 50, then the three entries with the most correct answers will be declared the winners. Do NOT hazard guesses in the comments thread. Some of the questions are easier than others. Enjoy.
2012 DAVID THOMSON'S IMPOSSIBLY HARD QUIZ
Answer these questions and name the films referred to:
1. Who was responsible for Pyewacket, Florio, Flike, the Lydia and 5135 Kensington?
2. What was the decision in cases involving Tom Robinson, Dr Towler, Madeleine Smith, Tom Garrett, Dominique Marceau?
3. Who is raised up or shot down by the 3, the jack of diamonds, the queen of diamonds, and 23?
4. Who or what did the following see across the way: Paul Sheridan, Tom Doyle, Lou, Terry Lambert, Edouard Lestingois?
5. What do these characters have in common: Paul Mallen, Nedda Longden, Jenny Maple? And which makes you think of Brideshead Revisited?
6. Who said, “One moment and I’ll give you a kiss.”; “Do you realize I haven’t kissed you in over an hour?”; and “Drawing room E, car thirty-nine-oh-one.”?
7. Who was Joey, John Henry and Lonnie?
8. Who played Stella, Moe and Birdie?
9. They were born in Cadiz, Ohio and west Bengal – what was their movie together?