The 2013 Palm Springs International Shortfest and Short Film Market has announced its showcase of 330 films, including 70 world premieres. This is the beginning of winnowing for the Oscars, as all films that win first place in the fest's four programs -- which span action, comedies, dramas, thrillers and more -- are Oscar eligible. An array of celebrities sprinkle the film lineup, including Cate Blanchett, Adam Driver, Lauren Ambrose, Mireille Enos, Elle Fanning and Emma Thompson.
The Shortfest runs June 18-24 in Palm Springs, CA.
A sampling of this year’s shorts are listed below:
- Jason Ritter in Boats Against the Current (USA)
- the voice of Rachel Griffiths in Butterflies (Australia)
- the voice of Cate Blanchett in the North American Premiere of A Cautionary Tale (Australia)
- Tom Sizemore in The Charlatan (USA)
- Christopher Lloyd in the World Premiere of The Coin (USA)
- Shannyn Sossamon in The Cyclist (USA)
- Yvan Attal and Anne Parillaud in the North American Premiere of Delicate Gravity (France)
- Alan Rickman in Dust (UK)
- Ian McKellen in the World Premiere of The Egg Trick (UK)
- Christopher Eccleston and Felicity Jones in the World Premiere of Emily (UK)
- Gerard Depardieu in Frank-Etienne (France)
- the voice of Bill Nighy in the North American Premiere of The Hungry Corpse (UK)
- Missi Pyle in Killing Vivian (USA)
- Brenda Blethyn and Tom Jones in the World Premiere of King of the Teds (UK)
- Anson Mount directs Last Time We Checked (USA); Elle Fanning in Likeness (USA)
- Nick Cassavetes in the World Premiere of Love and Skin (USA) directed by Virgina Cassavetes
- voices of Hugh Bonneville and Andy Serkis in the North American Premiere of The Magnificent Lion Boy (UK)
- Nastassja Kinski and Julian Sands in The Nightshift Belongs to the Stars (Italy) directed by Edoardo Ponti
- Hugo Weaving in No Budget (Australia)
- David Lyons marks his directorial debut in the North American Premiere of Record (USA)
- Lee Meriwether in Remember to Breathe (USA)
- Lauren Ambrose and Adam Driver in The River (USA)
- Frances Conroy in Sequin Raze (USA)
- Shohreh Aghdashloo in Silk (USA) directed by Catherine Dent
- Jordana Spiro directs Skin (USA); Denis Lavant in the North American Premiere of Spring Tides (France)
- Lisa Edelstein and James Le Gros in the World Premiere of Three Hours Between Planes (USA)
- Emma Thompson in Walking the Dogs (UK)
- Brooke Shields and Mireille Enos in the World Premiere of Wild Horses (USA)
- Camilla Belle in Zero Hour (Mexico/USA).
Shortfest also has a selection of 11 short film available for viewing online.