7. Who was Joey, John Henry and Lonnie?
Brandon de Wilde in Shane, Member of the Wedding and Hud
8. Who played Stella, Moe and Birdie?
Thelma Ritter in Rear Window, Pick Up on South Street and All About Eve
9. They were born in Cadiz, Ohio and west Bengal – what was their movie together?
Gone With the Wind; they are Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh
10. What do these have in common: Anna, Camille Javal, Jim and Junior?
Characters killed in car crashes: Anna (Jacqueline Sassard) in Accident; Camille Javal (Brigitte Bardot) in Contempt; Jim (Henri Serre) in Jules and Jim ; Junior (Sonny Bupp), the son in Citizen Kane
11. Who played Elvira Puccini, Mary Queen of Scots and Henrietta Browning?
Virginia McKenna in Puccini, Mary Queen of Scots and The Barretts of Wimpole Street
12. Who played Napoleon, Kristo and Ben Yussuf?
Herbert Lom in War and Peace; Night and the City; El Cid
13. Who filmed the Galveston flood, a retreat from Moscow and the essential song?
King Vidor: in Galveston as a youth; retreat from Moscow in War and Peace; the essential song, “Over the Rainbow” in The Wizard of Oz, shot by Vidor in the absence of Victor Fleming
14. Name three left-handed actresses.
Start with Eva Marie Saint, Emma Thompson, Diane Keaton, Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren
15. Name three films where people have fun in small boats, and three where the experience turns tragic.
Fun: Three Men in a Boat; Partie de Campagne; Some Like It Hot. Tragic: A Place in the Sun; Leave Her to Heaven; Sunrise – and many others in both areas
16. What happened to Loretta, Red Lightning and Brewster?
They are all shot: Loretta (Dimitra Arliss) in The Sting; Red Lightning, a race horse in The Killing; Brewster (Carroll O’Connor) in Point Blank
17. Name films in which these rivers participate: the Ouse, the Blackfoot, the Ganges, the Tennessee, the Seine.
The Ouse is the river where Virginia Woolf kills herself in The Hours; the Blackfoot is in A River Runs Through It; the Ganges is in The River; the Tennessee is in Wild River; and the Seine is in so many films, notably L’Atalante
18. Who said: “I played the Advocate.”, “Free of income tax, old man”, “Has anyone ever told you that you overplay your roles rather severely?”?
Orson Welles in The Trial; Harry Lime (Orson Welles) in The Third Man; Phillip Vandamm (James Mason) in North by Northwest
19. Who were patients to these doctors: Dr Jaquith, Dr Kelekian, Alex Linden, Dr Larsen, Dr Alex Brooks, Dr Lewicki
Dr Jaquith (Claude Rains) treats Bette Davis in Now, Voyager; Dr Kelekian (Christopher Lloyd) treats Emma Thompson in Wit; Alex Linden (Art Garfunkel) treats Theresa Russell in Bad Timing; Dr Larsen (Herbert Lom) treats Ann Todd in The Seventh Veil; Dr Alex Brooks (Barry Sullivan) treats Ginger Rogers in Lady in the Dark; Dr Lewicki (Nicole Kidman) treats Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder
20. He played Cardinal Danaher, a munitions expert who stammered, a senior fire operative and Bob Assingham?
Cyril Cusack in True Confessions; The Small Back Room; Fahrenheit 451 and The Golden Bowl (on TV)
21. Who stayed at the Hotel de la Gloria?
David Locke (Jack Nicholson) in The Passenger
22. What did these women have in common: Gabrielle Gerard, Jo Stockton, Maria Acuna, Penny Carrol, Dale Tremont?
They are female roles in Fred Astaire films: Gabrielle Gerard is Cyd Charisse in The Band Wagon; Jo Stockton is Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face; Maria Acuna is Rita Hayworth in You Were Never Lovelier; Penny Carrol is Ginger Rogers in Swing Time; and Dale Tremont is Ginger in Top Hat
23. In what film does the business of Thomas Crapper appear?
24. Could it have been Mary Pickford and Montgomery Clift?
Original casting ideas on Sunset Blvd
25. Who set sail on the Santa Maria and bumped into the horizon?
Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) in The Truman Show
26. William Katt, Laurence Olivier and Mandy Patinkin – what do they share?
It’s a Carrie connection: William Katt was in Brian De Palma’s Carrie; Olivier was in William Wyler’s Carrie; and Mandy Patinkin tries to look after Carrie (Claire Danes) in Homeland
27. Who taught Aeschylus’s Agamemnon, the talking treatment, psychology and the Song of Songs, how to fold a napkin. and mathematics at Princeton?
Andrew Crocker-Harris (Michael Redgrave) in The Browning Version; Carl Jung (Michael Fassbinder) in A Dangerous Method; Professor Richard Wanley (Edward G. Robinson) in The Woman in the Window; Annie Sullivan (Anne Bancroft) in The Miracle Worker; Richard Nash (Russell Crowe) in A Beautiful Mind
28. What film did Mary Sinclair do so much to fund and produce?
Eisenstein’s Que Viva Mexico. She was the wife of Upton Sinclair and did a lot of work raising money on the film.
29. Name film titles composed of three adverbs, two and one.
Truly Madly Deeply; Gaily, Gaily; and Suddenly – among others
30. Who was Nabby, Maren Hontvedt and Nicole and will soon be herself?
Sarah Polley in John Adams; The Weight of Water, The Sweet Hereafter and in next year’s Stories We Tell