Meryl Streep is portraying Margaret Thatcher (with Jim Broadbent as her husband) in The Iron Lady, director Phyllida Lloyd's follow-up to global blockbuster Mamma Mia!, which started principal photography in London on January 31.
Streep is also in final talks to star in her Devil Wears Prada director David Frankel's comedy Great Hope Springs for Mandate Pictures (Lionsgate International will handle foreign sales). The Black List screenplay by Vanessa Taylor follows a 30-years-married couple to an intense intimacy counseling weekend. Guymon Casady's Film 360 and Todd Black's Escape Artists will produce the film which is set to start filming in August. Frankel also directed holiday hit Marley & Me.
The Iron Ladyscript by Abi Morgan (Brick Lane) tells the story of the woman who broke class and gender barriers to have her voice heard. Says Streep:
"The prospect of exploring the swathe cut through history by this remarkable woman is a daunting and exciting challenge. I am trying to approach the role with as much zeal, fervour and attention to detail as the real Lady Thatcher possesses -- I can only hope my stamina will begin to approach her own!"
Thatcher was Britain's Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990; a list of her notable quotations is below:
A portrait of Thatcher, the nature of power, and the price paid for it, The Iron Lady is a co-production of Pathé, Film4, UK Film Council presentation with the participation of Canal+ and Cine Cinema in association with Goldcrest Film Production LLP of a DJ Films Production. North American rights are still available.
- A world without nuclear weapons would be less stable and more dangerous for all of us.
- Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.
- Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
- Being prime minister is a lonely job... you cannot lead from the crowd.
- Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and importance, although difficult, is the highroad to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.
- Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy.
- I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.
- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
- I am in politics because of the conflict between good and evil, and I believe that in the end good will triumph.
- I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.
- I don't mind how much my Ministers talk, so long as they do what I say.
- I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job.
- I owe nothing to Women's Lib.
- I seem to smell the stench of appeasement in the air.
- I usually make up my mind about a man in ten seconds, and I very rarely change it.
- I'm extraordinarily patient provided I get my own way in the end.
- I've got a woman's ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it.
- If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
- If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.
- It is not the creation of wealth that is wrong, but the love of money for its own sake.
- One of the things being in politics has taught me is that men are not a reasoned or reasonable sex.
- There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families.
- This lady is not for turning.
- To wear your heart on your sleeve isn't a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best.
- What Britain needs is an iron lady.