Another list and with that another sad feeling about women being underrepresented in film. This time around it's the Writers Guild of America's 101 Greatest Screenplays. The list has many screenplays with the original source material written by women; however, it does not have that many screenplays written by women.
Only 6 out of the 101 screenplays chosen were written by women, none of those cracked the top ten and only one the top twenty--It's A Wonderful Life co-written by Frances Goodrich.
What do you think are some of the greatest screenplays written by women? Let us know in the comments.
Below you can find the screenplays written by women from the WGA list with their ranking number.
20. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: Screenplay by Frances Goodrich & Albert Hackett & Frank Capra. Based on short story "The Greatest Gift" by Philip Van Doren Stern. Contributions to screenplay Michael Wilson and Jo Swerling
25. THE WIZARD OF OZ: Screenplay by Noel Langley and Florence Ryerson and Edgar Allan Woolf Adaptation by Noel Langley. Based on the novel by L. Frank Baum
40. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY: Written by Nora Ephron
65. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN: Screen Story and Screenplay by Betty Comden & Adolph Green. Based on the song by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown
67. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL: Written by Melissa Mathison
72. THELMA & LOUISE: Written by Callie Khouri
101 Greatest Screenplays (Writers Guild of America)