EWA (the European Women's Audiovisual Network) has launched a European campaign to build awareness around women directors.
The statistics (when there are any) in Europe are dismal with women directing approximately 10% of all box office successes according to Francine Raveney the Executive Director of EWA.
The campaign is asking women directors to put together a 60 second clip about why they make movies. Clips can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish director Isabel Coixet has taken a leadership position and is encouraging women to join with her in this campaign.
Here's some details about the work of EWA:
- They encourage cross media and co-production projects to raise financing for women's projects throughout the audiovisual sector;
- They promote cultural diversity across the board
- They are instigating new data monitoring and research and helped to encourage the European audiovisual observatory to monitor gender balance for best selling films
- They are training on how to pitch and present
- Will organise events which will bring together producers and directors with projects and decision makers;
- Are working with film funds and are building bridges with politicians to ensure that gender equality is fully on the agenda
More details below in the video