By Melissa Silverstein | Women and Hollywood June 18, 2012 at 9:45AM
The first season of Girls came to a close last night. This pop culture tour de force has become the zeitgeist hit of the moment. I am beyond impressed with what they have accomplished. I am on the road so I haven't seen it so no comments yet from me. But you should all feel free to comment on what you thought of the season.
Scott Feinberg from The Hollywood Reporter sat down for a lengthy interview with Lena Dunham the creator/writer/director/star of the show.
Here are some of the things I learned:
- That Lena is so psyched that guys are into Girls
- She got the deal with HBO off of Tiny Furniture and she was shooting the pilot for Girls while Tiny Furniture was rolling out in theatres
- She is obsessed with television- in a good way. She talks about TV as her way of staying alive.
- There are two female showrunners, Dunham and Jenni Koner
- There is a six person writing staff
- Out of a 10 episode season - Dunham wrote 6 of the scripts herself and co-wrote 4 of them. That means she wrote every episode of the season.
Why 'Girls' Season 1 Was Terrific And Why It's A Hit With Guys Too (Huffington Post)