By Inkoo Kang | Women and Hollywood August 7, 2014 at 1:00PM
Things are supposed to be easier for female narrative directors in the indie world, but that just often isn't the case.
A few other female-led movies -- Ida, Under the Skin, Gloria, and The Immigrant -- drew arthouse audiences to theaters. Four more romances with female co-leads hopefully satisfied moviegoers looking for something different.
Knegt notes that the list "only includes North American grosses for specialty films -- indie, foreign and/or documentary -- that opened in limited release (initially under 500 screens) in 2014 and were released by an independent distributor or a studio specialty division."
Here's the women-centric parts of the list:
Female-Directed with Female Lead
5. Belle (Fox Searchlight) - $10,645,039
16. Obvious Child (A24) - $2,895,901
Male-Directed with Female Lead
13. Ida (Music Box) - $3,551,006
18. Under The Skin (A24) - $2,605,039
23. Gloria (Roadside Attractions) - $2,107,925
24. The Immigrant (The Weinstein Company) - $2,025,328
Male-Directed with Male-Female Co-Lead
4. Begin Again (The Weinstein Company) - $13,755,573
21. Le Week-end (Music Box) - $2,225,098
22. Words and Pictures (Roadside Attractions) - $2,140,906
25. Only Lovers Left Alive (Sony Pictures Classics) - $1,841,122
See the complete list here.